- 1 Legacy of the Wyvern
- 2 HMS Wyvern, Brigantine (1712-1736)
- 3 HMS Wyvern, Scorpion Class Schooner/Battleship (1862-1922)
- 4 HMS Wyvern D66, Modified W Class Destroyer (1919- 1947)
- 5 EBS Wyvern SBB-22 Sarbonne Class Stealth Battlecruiser (2132- 2260)
- 6 SS Wyvern DY-500 Freighter (2210-2242)
- 7 USS Wyvern Antares Class Freighter (2250-2300)
- 8 USS Wyvern Centaur Class Destroyer (2330-2348)
- 9 USS Wyvern Nebula Class Heavy Cruiser (2360-2407)
Legacy of the Wyvern
HMS Wyvern, Brigantine (1712-1736)
The earliest namesake of the USS Wyvern is found in the records of 18th century Earth. The first recorded use of the name belonged to the HMS Wyvern, a brigantine (the shortened expression is brig) vessel. This class of vessel is equipped both for sailing and rowing, swifter and more easily maneuvered than larger ships, and hence employed for purposes of piracy, espionage, reconnoitering, etc., and as an attendant upon larger ships for protection, landing purposes, etc. The earlier days the brig was a vessel with two masts square-rigged like a ship's fore- and main-masts, but carrying also on her main-mast a lower fore-and-aft sail with a gaff and boom. In later times, while still having only two masts, it carried square sails on her fore-mast, and, as to its after-mast, it was like that of the main-mast of a schooner, that is to say, fore-and-aft-rigged.
In the 18th and the earlier part of the 19th centuries, a sloop-of-war was a small sailing warship (also known as one of the escort types) with a single gun deck that carried anything up to eighteen cannon. As the rating system covered all vessels with 20 guns and above, this meant that the term sloop-of-war actually encompassed all the unrated combat vessels including the very small gun-brigs and cutters. In technical terms, even the more specialized bomb vessels and fireships were classed as sloops-of-war, and in practice these were actually employed in the sloop role when not carrying out their specialized tasks.
The first three-masted sloops appeared during the 1740s, and from the mid-1750s most new sloops were completed with a ship (three-masted) rig. However, in the 1770s the two-masted sloop re-appeared in a new guise as the brig sloop. The successor to the former slow sloops, the brig sloops had two masts while the ship sloop continued to have three (since a brig is a two-masted, square-rigged vessel and a ship a three- or more-masted square-rigger, though invariably of 3 only in that period).
The Brigantine or Brig was a type of ship used in large numbers, both as a Merchant vessel and as a Naval Ship. It carried 16 guns and was rigged for speed, having both top gallant sails and royals. These ships were used by Navies of the World for scouting and reconnaissance duties. They were used to track down ships of an enemy navy. Many of the Brigs of the late 18th century could carry sweeps for maneuvering in still weather. In 1814 the British Navy had 71 brigs of various types carrying 10 to 16 guns.
- Length: 110-ft
- Beam: 28-ft
- Draft: 16-ft
- Armament: 16 50-pound cannons
- Crew: 100 to 120
The Brig HMS Wyvern was a typical ship of the Brig class; she saw service from February 24, 1712 until her sinking in 1736, during a storm off the tip of South Africa. The ship was under the command of Captain John Blackthorn. In 2405 the wreckage of the HMS Wyvern was raised and restored. She is currently a living history museum piece.
HMS Wyvern, Scorpion Class Schooner/Battleship (1862-1922)
The two ships of the Scorpion class, HMS Scorpion and HMS Wivern, were the first warships ever which were built to the order of a foreign country and subsequently acquired for service in the Royal Navy.
In 1862 a contract was placed with Laird & Son Co by Captain James D. Bulloch, a naval agent for the Confederate States of America, for two double-turreted warships designed for ramming attacks at a cost of £93,750 each, exclusive of armament and ammunition. They were intended, together with other warships, to break the Federal blockade of Confederate coastal cities, to combat the Federal fleet, and possibly to attack Federal coastal cities. In January 1863 the Foreign Secretary, Lord John Russell, notified Bulloch that the ships would be prevented from sailing if they were doing so to form part of the fleet of a nation currently at war. This was mostly because whilst the British government was reasonably supportive of the South they saw no future in fighting a drawn out war with the North. This knowledge and the successes of Union arms in 1863 enabled Northern representatives in England to threaten war if the rams were not seized.
Bulloch therefore arranged for some French bankers to purchase the ships, nominally on behalf of the Egyptian government, it is assumed with the intention of transferring them to the Confederate flag once they were at sea. Her true ownership was to be concealed by the fiction that she was being constructed as the Egyptian warship El Monassir. The Khedive of Egypt was attempting to acquire warships, so this appeared plausible.
She was to have been named Mississippi upon delivery to the Confederates. She would have been superior to all but one of the United States' Navy warships, and thus represented a most serious danger to the Union's control of the seas. However, effective Federal diplomacy prevented the emergence of this threat. Russell, being in contact with the Federal authorities, arranged that the ships should be seized by Britain.
The British government seized the pair of ironclads in October 1863, a few months after their launch and before they could be completed. In early 1864, both were purchased for the Royal Navy, receiving the new names Scorpion and Wivern (Wyvern). The legality of this seizure was seriously disputed, but the British government had already been somewhat embarrassed by the activities of the Alabama, a ship also built by Laird Son & Co and operated as a Corsair by the confederate forces.
In order to overshadow discussions as to the legality of their action, the British government purchased the ships for £30,000 in excess of the contract price. HMS Wivern was a 2750-ton ironclad turret ship built at Birkenhead, England, one of two sister ships secretly ordered from the Laird & Sons shipyard by the Confederate States of America government in 1862.
Completed in October 1865, Wivern was assigned to the Channel Fleet until 1868. After a refit that reduced her sailing rig from a barque to a schooner, the Wivern served briefly as a coastguard ship based at Hull and then went into reserve. In 1870 Wivern was brought back into active service and dispatched to Hong Kong. She remained in Hong Kong until sold for scrap in 1922, having been reduced to harbor duties from 1904.
One of her commanding officers was Captain Hugh Talbot Burgoyne, VC who was later appointed the commanding officer of HMS Captain. The Captain was also a twin turret ship.
- Ordered for Confederate Navy: 1862
- Laid down: April 1862
- Launched: August 29, 1863
- Seized by British Government: October 1863
- Completed: October 10, 1865
- Broken up: 1922
- Displacement: 2,751 tons
- Length: 224 ft 6 inches
- Beam: 42 ft 4 inches
- Draught: 15ft 6 inches light, 17 ft deep load
- Engine: Lairds horizontal direct-acting
- Propulsion: horizontal direct acting engine, one shaft, 4 boilers, 1450 IHP
- Speed under power: 10.5 knots
- Rig: Ship-rig with tripod masts
- Complement: 153
- Armament: 4 × 9 in (228 mm) (2 × 2) muzzle-loading rifles
- Armor: Belt 4.5 inches, Bow 3inches and Stern 2 inches, Turret faces 10 inches, sides 5 inches
HMS Wyvern D66, Modified W Class Destroyer (1919- 1947)
HMS Wyvern was launched in April 1919 and was part of the 16th Destroyer Flotilla. Wyvern was sold in 1947 after many trips around the world.
The HMS Wyvern saw service in the Mediterranean Fleet. At this time the ship was not a submarine detecting Destroyer, but at a later date, mid-1930’s she was converted, as was most of the old class of Destroyers. Some were considered unsuitable as they were too old. All destroyers from 1928 forward were built with the detection gear already installed.
The USS Wyvern served with the Mediterranean Fleet in the 4th Destroyer Squadron of nine ships in the 16th Flotilla. Two (as called) Divisions of 4 ships with one Destroyer with a Captain aboard in charge of the Flotilla. At that time there were four Flotillas serving in Malta. After a Flotilla had served 2 years 4 months or so, it was sent back to England to pay off and all crew left the ship which was replaced by a new one which was sent aboard after a refit in the home ports. Therefore, at those times only 3 Flotillas were on station.
Exercises with the Fleet were War Maneuvers in which, instead of part of the watch, the whole watch was on duty with extra lookouts and certain guns manned. That was when the two parts of the Fleet met in mock battle. (Red and Blue). After all exercises had been completed the Fleet dispersed. Most ships went to various places to anchor and give leave. We had 2 Aircraft Carriers with the Fleet and these also took part in the maneuvers.
Whilst at Malta, the Fleet put to sea for gunnery practice. Destroyers built from 1927 also had more modern Directors to improve the efficiency of firing the guns and guns of a uniform size - 4.7". Gunnery improved on as time went on - more range.
War Record World War II
- On March 13, 1941 the USS Wyvern was assigned as an escort for Convoy SL.114 through the Mediterranean Sea. She engaged and is believed to have sunk two enemy U-Boats during that convoy action.
- On February 22nd, 1943 whilst escorting convoy KMS.8, Flower class corvette HMS Weyburn strikes a mine laid by U-118 and sinks 4 miles W of Cape Spartel at 35 48N 06 02W. The HMS Wyvern is damaged by the Weyburn’s exploding depth charges whilst attempting to rescue survivors.
- On March 14, 1945, U714 was depth charged and sank by the South African Frigate HMSAS Natal and the HMS Wyvern on the 14th March 1945 with loss of all 50 crew members.
One of the vessel’s commanding officers was Captain Sydney George Cribb who died 3rd January 1923 and was buried at Kalkara Naval Cemetery. From July 1939 the HMS Wyvern was commanded by Captain Reginald Gregory Haines
- Shipyard: James Samuel White & Co. Ltd., Cowes
- Laid down 19.08.1918
- Launch 16.04.1919
- Construction time: 0y 7m 28d
- Scrapped: 1948
- Type: Torpedo destroyer, modified class W
- Dimensions: 300 (p.p.), 312 (o.a.) x 29.5 x 9 feet (mean) draught.
- Displacement 1300 tons average
- Armament 4-4.7 inch (Dir. Con.), 2-2 pdr. Pom-poms. Tubes: 6 in two triple mountings.
- Propulsion Brown-Curtis AG turbines (Whitehall and perhaps one or two others: Parsons), Designed S.H.P. 27,000, 2 screws. Boilers: Yarrow (White's: White-Forster)
- Max. Speed 34 kts
- Bunkerage Oil: about 350/ 320 tons
- Crew 127
EBS Wyvern SBB-22 Sarbonne Class Stealth Battlecruiser (2132- 2260)
The EBS Wyvern served a long career spanning 158 years in service of the European Hegemony. The vessel served with distinction during three conflicts during its service. It's record was exemperary and it was selected for the site of the Famed Peace treaties of 2245. The vessel was commanded by Captain Francois Delarne between 2132 and 2144. During his career, Captain Delarne became the most decorated Naval officer in the European Hegemony.
The European Hegemony was a somewhat loose alliance formed in the early 22nd century. It has been described as one of the first steps toward a United Earth Government, which was founded in 2150. In the 24th century the European Hegemony no longer existed.
In the 24th century, the European Alliance is a political entity on the European continent on Earth, incorporating the city of Brussels amongst others. It is most likely a successor to the 21st century European Hegemony regime, thought to have been the first stirrings of world government on Earth during this timeframe.
Most probably, the European Alliance incorporates the whole European continent, but the possibility also exists that it is only part of the continent. It then would not be clear if this power ever coexisted with the European Hegemony, or possibly shares some other relation to it.
It remains unknown which competences this alliance carries, since Earth is governed by the United Earth Government since the early 22nd century. However, the European Alliance might state a joint effort of the European people to create a unified administration and representation at the global government and, thus, might be very similar to the European Union.
The European Alliance is presumably bordered by the "Mediterranean Alliance", which was referenced in the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
- Shipyard: James Samuel White & Co. Ltd., Cowes
- Laid down: 08.13.2130
- Launch: 10.04.2132
- Construction time: 2y 2m 19d
- Type: Sarbonne Class Stealth Battlecruiser
- Dimensions: 1300 (p.p.), 612 (o.a.) x 129.5 x 18 feet (mean) draught.
- Displacement: 130000 tons average
- Armament: 100- Zeigger SLX-33 Gauss cannons, 12 Argives Point Defense Systems. 40 VLASR Tubes: 10 in quad mountings.
- Propulsion: Whitehall CRA-22x Nuclear Reactors
- Max. Speed: 45 kts
- Crew: 3157
SS Wyvern DY-500 Freighter (2210-2242)
The DY-100 class was an early design of Earth space vessels that were in operation during the late 20th and early 21st centuries. The ships were designed for interplanetary travel only, had nuclear powered engines, were equipped with artificial gravity, and had transistors as components.
At least some DY-100 ships were sleeper ships, in which the crew could be placed into suspended animation. Sleeper ships like the DY-100 fell from general use by 2018 because of significant improvements in sublight propulsion technology.
The production of the DY-100 class ship began sometime prior to 1996. A later generation of the class, the DY-500, was similar in configuration and some 23rd century Humans had trouble telling them apart.
The primary difference being the improved Propulsion technology absent from the DY-100 class freighter.
The SS Wyvern made a total of 6524 cargo and passenger trips during her operational lifetime. She was originally Commanded By Darius Barlowe, who helped to establish trade routes with the Arcturian Empire.
USS Wyvern Antares Class Freighter (2250-2300)
Antares-class freighter was a old-style warp-capable freighter utilized by the Federation during the 23rd-24th century.
These vessels, which could be maintained with a crew of 18, had limited range and speed, capable of traveling no more than fifteen light years in a single day. They were used primarily for short interstellar transport, although a few were later refitted with better engines. This class of vessel never saw widespread popularity as they were difficult to maintain and slow to operate.
This is the first Wyvern vessel to officially bear the "USS" prefix before her name. The USS Wyvern of this class and type was Commanded by Yolanda Parks and was refitted in 2270 to utilize the newer improved warp engines.
Eventually the vessel entered service with Starfleet and became a fast response cargo carrier. She participated in several emergency supply lifts during the Efrosian Famine and the Katar Revolts. She was decommissioned and scrapped in 2300.
USS Wyvern Centaur Class Destroyer (2330-2348)
The USS Wyvern (NCC-660066), was the first vessel in starfleet, other than a freighter to bear the name. She served with distinction in several small scirmishes. While investigating a temporal anamoly in 2348, she went missing. After three years without a sign of her whereabouts she was presumed lost. She was commanded by captain Mylarma Por'Ghat.
The Centaur type of Federation starships were launched in the 24th century. They share the same design era with the Excelsior-class of starships.
This design is to the Excelsior what the Miranda was to the Constitution (no secondary hull, but same warp nacelles, and similar saucer section).
The following information of specifications and defenses comes exclusively from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual:
- Type: Medium cruiser
- Production Base: ASDB Integration Facility, Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, Mars
- Accommodation: 315 officers and crew
- Power Plant: One 1,500+ Cochrane warp core feeding two nacelles; two impulse systems
- Length: 381.87 meters
- Beam: 320.16 meters
- Height: 78.54 meters
- Mass: 870,000 metric tons
- Performance: Warp 9.6 for 12 hours
- Armament: Nine type-9 phaser emitters; two photon torpedo launchers
USS Wyvern Nebula Class Heavy Cruiser (2360-2407)
After the loss of the prior Wyvern, the newest USS Wyvern was commissioned at Utopia Planatia on Stardate 2360.10.15 and was designated with the -A suffix. The vessel was involved in several small actions while assigned as a security Patrol vessel during the Federation Civil War.
The Nebula-class was a type of Federation starship that was in service in Starfleet during the latter half of the 24th century. Its design is closely related to that of the Galaxy-class.
Atop the engineering hull is a superstructure which can support a variety of equipment, such as sensor platforms, additional warp nacelles, and torpedo launchers.
Some Nebula-class starships, including the USS Phoenix used a high-energy sensor sweep that cycled every 5.5 minutes. Between each of those cycles, a "window" of 1/50th of a second would open, requiring the ship's shields to be realigned. The specialized superstructure seen on the Phoenix configuration is a high powered sensor module.
In 2370, the theoretical maximum speed for the warp drive of Nebula-class starships, including the USS Prometheus was warp 9.5. When fine tuned, the warp drive could be pushed to warp 9.6.
By 2374, Nebula-class ships were refitted. The major changes were a more Galaxy-class style secondary hull and deflector dish. The Wyvern was refitted at this time. Several of these refitted Nebula-class starships were a part of a Federation assault fleet that was assembled to stop the Cardassians from driving the Federation out of the Chin'toka system.
The Wyvern was commanded by Captain Angela Smithwick until Stardate 2407.03.14, when Captain Smithwick was relieved of her command by her First Officer Commander Martin O'Shea. The Wyvern was subsequently damaged in a battle with the USS Champlain and captured by that Vessel. The ship was temporarily commanded by Lieutenant Junior Grade Jono Janeway with a skeleton crew from the Champlain.
The vessel was put into dock at Starbase Geneva where she was repaired and recommissioned under the same name and registry number by the 52nd Fleet. When the repairs to the vessel were completed, she was crewed and command of the Vessel turned over to the newly promoted Captain Martin O'Shea. Captain O'She was ordered to join Task Force 19 for the assault on the Mars Defence Perimeter and Sector 001 in an attempt to bring an end to the Federation Civil War.
Captain O'Shea commanded his ship in the thrust to protect the USS Bouddica during her fight for Valhalla Station in the Sol System. During that conflict, she became involved in a conflict to support the USS Champlain against the USS Persephone, which had pressed the attack against the Champlain while she was abandoning ship, as a result of a wrap core breach in progress.
In order to provide the crew of the Champlain time to evacuate their ship, despite the Persephone's intentions to destroy the damaged ship, O'Shea ordered the Wyvern to intercede. The smaller Nebula Class ship positioned itself firmly in the Persephone's attack path and fought the larger Prometheus Class ship as long as she could.
While the ship was nearly destroyed and almost all her crew killed, they were successful in fending off the larger vessel long enough to allow the evacuation of the USS Champlain. As a result of his actions, Captain O'Shea was awarded the Starfleet Shield.
The Ship was repaired, refit and placed back into service. She currently serves in the 52nd Fleet as a medium class Escort.
The following information of specifications and defenses comes exclusively from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual:
- Type: Explorer
- Production Base: ASDB Integration Facility, Utopia Fleet Yards, Mars
- Accommodation: 750 officers and crew; 130 visiting personnel; 9800 personal evacuation limit
- Power Plant: One 1500 plus Cochrane warp core feeding two nacelles; one impulse system
- Length: 442.23 meters
- Beam: 318.11 meters
- Height: 130.43 meters
- Mass: 3,309,000 metric tons
- Performance: Warp 9.6 for 12 hours (STD); warp 9.9 for 12 hours (uprated)
- Armament: Eight type-10 phaser emitters; two photon torpedo launchers
Star Trek: Communicator
A cross section and overview of the ship is given in Issue 154 of Star Trek: Communicator, particularly focusing on the "USS Nebula (NCC-60147)." The cross section shows that the ship is capable of saucer separation, has 8 type-X phaser arrays and 3 photon torpedo launchers, and a mass of 3,309,000 metric tonnes. One inconsistency among the graphics has the registry number "NCC-60000" on the nacelle wing.