Lorimar Class Runabout
|LORIMAR CLASS RUNABOUT
Mission ObjectivesLorimar Class Runabout was designed to complete three general mission types.
- Short Notice and/or Emergency Response Transportation for Scientific Expeditions or Medical Personnel.
- Act as a Base of Operations (orbital or landed) for Scientific Expeditions or Medical Response.
- Transport of: personnel, intact experiment and/or cargo modules.
With the loss of a Danube class Runabout during a a mission to infiltrate an ancient alien planet killer called the Doomsday machine, the USS Boudicca found itself short on its auxiliary ship compliment. with a significant shortage of available Runabouts throughout the fleet as a result of losses sustained during the Federation Civil War, it was decided that the Engineering crew of the USS Boudicca would replicate and assemble a replacement for the Danube Class Runabout. This project quickly took on a life of it's own as the CEO Robert Lorimar struck upon the idea of implementing several new technological developments and design changes into an entirely unique Runabout design. This experimental class is everything the current Danube Class ships are plus much, much more. The sleeker, state of the art design borrows elements from the latest shuttle craft, Delta Flyer prototype, and traditional Runabouts. In addition, to Lorimar's innovative approaches to several key design changes, he also implemented some design ideas suggested by Advanced Theoretical Technologies Unit engineer Matthew McLaren.
There are several experimental configurations implemented into the new Lorimar Class Runabout. The vessel is controlled by a single Trojan Drop ship computer core, which affords greater processing power and speed. In addition to a new computer core, the vessel also utilizes bioneural gelpacks in place of the slower and less effective isolinear chips. The Lorimar class will be able to be reconfigured with equipment and instrumentation which can be used for a variety of tasks and missions.
Lorimar Class Runabouts utilize the same "modular" construction in regard to interior makeup. They are compatible with standard Starfleet multi-use compartment modules and are much easier than even the conventional Runabouts being that the warp engines and wings feature a "gull" design which swing open for easy access to the interior.
The compartment modules fit neatly inside and lock into place for optimum refit capability. The Lorimar class is slightly longer than the standard Danube Class Runabout. This affords a somewhat roomier cockpit area, more work stations, and a larger crew complement.
The Cockpit and each module may be used as Emergency Escape Pods, complete with independent Life Support systems, RCS Thrusters and Combat Rations. As shown in the diagrams below, should the need arise for Emergency Egress, the entire warp engine section may be jettisoned, freeing all the Modules for independent flight.
|Danube Class Runabout
|Lorimar Class Runabout|
from the top to the bottom: Port Side, Dorsal,
Ventral, Fore, Aft
- Self-Interlocking Life Suport, ODN & LCARS Conduit
- Able to act as Personnel Escape Pods
- Independent Emergency Life Support Systems
- Independent RCS Thrusters
- Emergency Rations
- Standard Module Length: 3 Meters
- Extended Length: 6 Meters
- Standard Module Width: 2.4 Meters
- Extended Width: 5 Meters
- Standard Module Height: 2.2 Meters
- Cargo Mod (Multiple Variations Available)
- Sensor Mod (Mission-Specific Modules)
- Flag Suite (Single Person 2 Part Module)
- Long Term Travel Suite (1 & 2 Person Mod)
- Short Term Bunk Room Mod (4 Person Module)
- Personnel Transport (20 People Max Occupancy)
- Salvage Equipment (Internal & External Hard-points)
- Medevac Module (Occupies Entire Module Bay)
- Transporter Pod (Multiple Variations Available)
- Weapons Mod A: Photon Torpedo (Rack of 8)
- Weapons Mod B: Quantum Torpedo (Rack of 8)
- Weapons Mod C: Phased Torpedoes (Rack of 8)
- Propulsion Mod: (Power Generator- Multiple variations)
Initial conception by Russ Gross
Images by Roger Wackowski